Honeypots mailing list archives

Minefields

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:00:16 -0500

The important question is not "are honeypots in use" but "is *this*
*particular* system that I'm considering as the next machine to probe in fact likely to be a honeypot?". I don't *care* if the site has 2,000 honeypots scattered world-wide. I only care "Is this box labelled www3.target-site.com likely to be
a real webserver, or a honeypot?"

You can know that the enemy uses land mines, but still feel confident about crossing a given space because you can tell that *this* space likely doesn't have a land mine - for instance, crossing a not-recently paved parking lot is probably fairly safe. Following heavy truck tire tracks also greatly improves your odds,
as long as you don't come to someplace the tracks suddenly end.... ;)

Killing a couple of birds with one stone in this posting, apologies. Valdis got me thinking ... :)

First, I have noticed the point raised on how many 0-day exploits honeypots have captured, the number is most likely limited. But, you then have to ask the question, how many honeypots have been deployed with the intent of capturing new attacks? Keep in mind, most honeypots deployed to date have been sitting off of home DSL or Cable connections. Its highly unlikely you are going to see advanced threats throwing new attacks against any old WinXP computer sitting. I'm working on the assumption that the majority of new attacks are lanched against targets of high value. This means your honeypot (for new or advanced attacks) needs the perception of high value. The problem with that is most individuals cannot deploy honeypots of perceived high value, usually only organizations can. I personally can create a honeypot that appears to be a TopSecret R&D server for the latest encryption, or build a online banking system, however how long will that perception last when its sitting off dsl.speakeasy.net? I feel that some of the best opportunities for honeypots to capture advanced threats is honeypots not deployed by individuals, but by organizations.

Second, Valdis brings up a very interesting point here. But, I'm going to counter that his analogy can actualy help capture advanced threats. In mechanized warfare, minefiels in general are NOT used to stop an enemy, but channel that enemy into a killing zone (*lance dust's off old Tank manual*:). The idea is to set up mines so that the enemy sees them, has to change course, one that forces the enemy into a killing zone you have covered with fields of fire (direct, indirect, etc). Why not apply that with honeypots? Lets say you are concerned about advanced threats. You can populate your organization with low-interaction honeypots, great for detecting the low hanging fruit, but relatively easy for the advanced guys to detect. Advanced threat is searching your network for honeypots, finds the low-interaction honeypots (our minefield). They avoid the minefield and go for the high-value targets, places where there are no honeypots. However, in those dark quiet spots is where we deploy our high-interaction honeypot, the one with perceived high value and harder to detect.

This brings me to my third (and final) thought. In reference to detection, I highly doubt we will ever create a honeypot that is impossible to detect. Attackers that have the skills or tools, and are looking, will eventually fingerprint your honeypot. The key to the game is to make the honeypot hard enough to detect, so when the bad guy does detect it, its too late for them.

just some thoughts ... :)

lance