Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeynet Requirements

From: Julian Grizzard <grizzard () ece gatech edu>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 10:39:22 -0400

If you are looking to use a honeynet to help secure you company, then we can suggest that you make your honeypots accessible from you production company machines. Then you can extend the honeypot theology and say that any production machine that is scanning your honeynet is automatically suspicious and can be marked for investigation (i.e. the scanning machine was infected by worm/virus/attacker and is scanning your other production/honeypot machines). You can pick up scanning activity even if your honeypots look nothing like your production machines.

-Julian