Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: pcap log analysis

From: "Elliott C. Bäck" <ecb29 () cornell edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:57:46 -0400

Did you check out capinfo? It only displays a few simple stats, but it's something:

Capinfo is a tool for displaying statistics about network traffic from files saved with tcpdump or snoop:
http://tcpreplay.sourceforge.net

Augur might do something useful, although I can't tell and I've never used it:
http://augur.sourceforge.net/

And etherscope will display graphs about interface bandwidth matching certain filters:
http://etherscope.sourceforge.net/

Of course, you can open those files in ethereal to display a lot of "raw" and "analysed" information, but I don't think it will do much in the way of graphs, charts, or statistics.

--
Elliott Bäck
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/ecb29
Joe Hickory wrote:

hi list,
anybody knows or has some shell scripts or the like with which i can analyse
network traffic saved in pcap format in a file. didn't wanted to reinvent the wheel,

as i think there are others who faced the same problem before, but couldn't
find anything.
some nice created diagrams out of the data would be great, but not
neccessary. any suggestion would be great joe