Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Kernel & VMware bridging - Whats the difference?

From: Jay Beale <jay () bastille-linux org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:46:55 -0700

Rock Lobster wrote:

Lately, I've been attempting to setup a GenII honeypot on my laptop with vmware.

I do have a couple of questions that I can't quite work out though.

When I compiled my host o/s kernel I forgot to enable bridging and TUN/TAP support,
> which according to the UML linux paper I read is required for the brctl package to > work. Now the things is, because bridging wasnt enabled in my kernel intially, > why did the vmware guest o/s get an IP from my dhcp server and manage to sit
> happily on my network without any problem?

vmware installs its own modules into the kernel, which means they can include any code they want. Their modules' networking capability includes bridging, but wouldn't have to use the existing bridging functionality. It probably doesn't in fact, especially since the Linux bridging wasn't massively well-tested or standard in the kernel when VMware released its first workstation product.

With that said, UML does use the Linux kernel's bridging functionality by Stephen Hemminger. This makes sense for many reasons, most especially that UML is a patch to the mainstream kernel code.

  - Jay

I'm also curious as to why I couldnt just install the brctl package and then have
> the product of vmnet0 placed into my iptables rules accordingly? Why doesnt vmnet0
> show up as another network device when I 'ifconfig -a'

Thanks!