Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: (pacsec bonus) Re: VMWare Detection?

From: MrDemeanour <mrdemeanour () jackpot uk net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:59:53 +0000

Lance Spitzner wrote:
Lots of great discussions and tools demonstrated on detecting the use
 of VMware.  Some pondering, if I may.

- In reference to honeypots, is the detection of VMware a bad thing? Okay, the attacker gains access and identifies the system is using VMware. Lots of legitimate organizations use VMware, the economics of virtualization can be a big motivator. In fact, this will potentially grow. So, I would contend that the detection of VMware does not automatically mean honeypot.

Indeed. My employer is a software manufacturer; our sales teams use
VMWare extensively.

* Snapshot facility allows them instantly to restore a demo system to a
  known state.

* Demos of pre-release product can be configured once and distributed to
  the field as a working system that will work on any VMWare-equipped
  notebook.

* Notebooks used for demos can also be used for production work
  (business email, document preparation etc.) without risking
  de-stabilising the demo system, by switching to a production
  partition.

* Our software is server software. If it is necessary to demonstrate the
  software as distinct client and server systems, this can be done on a
  single notebook computer.

I'm also informed that VMWare does a *much* better job of memory
management than Windows does. If you are running a large Java VM,
consuming (say) half a gig of memory, as well as a RDBMS and other
special services, it is apparently advantageous to use VMWare to divide
the system in two. I haven't tried this, so I don't know what
partitioning scheme works best.

VMWare wasn't invented for honeypot operators. On the contrary, I'd
expect honeypot operators to be very much in the minority of VMWare users.

- If an attacker does detect VMware, and assume its a honeypot and leaves the system, does this mean that VMware is potentially more secure for production systems?

I'd say that *potentially* VMWare is more secure anyway, if for no
other reason than the fact that it can be instantly restored to a known
configuration.

--
Jack.