Honeypots mailing list archives

binding sub-interfaces in Linux

From: Chris <list.traffic () frys com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 05:44:13 -0800

Hello,

I am configuring a network with a live honeypot attached to the network. I am going through a virtual router in honeyd and the subnet is not the same as the address on the honeyd host machine. When I bind the address to eth0 and try to connect to the external host honeyd dies. I assume because it can't find a route to the external host. I added a sub-interface to my honeyd host and added the bind 10.1.1.53 to eth0:1 statement to the honeyd.conf file it won't start. Is this not a supported option? Or is there a better way to handle this situation. Also when configuring a route in honeyd is there a way to define a address on the other side of the virtual router for a default return route on my external host?

Thanks for your help.