Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: deploying honeypots...

From: "Connell, Graeme S" <gconnell () middlebury edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:43:47 -0400

Rasyid,

  The first question is a very good one, and, as with most good questions, there really isn't a good answer.  If you're
looking at how old exploits are used against unpatched systems, then by all means use older versions of operating
systems and hardware.  However, if you're looking at what attacks are used against fully-hardened systems, update all
your patches and programs before deploying the honeynet.  Generally, I like to use stuff that's a few months to a year
old, with a few known exploits.
  The problem is also to attract an attacker.  Easy systems will be picked up by script-kiddy automated scans and will
probably be attacked much more regularly than patched or hardened boxes.  And unless you make the box very tempting
(name it "bank_of_america.com", use tempting honeytokens, or something like that), most attackers will balk at
attacking a secure box in favor of easier targets.

  Regarding your second question, I'm not entirely sure how you're planning on using neural networks within your
honeynet.  Are you examining traffic and attempting to determine when an attack occurs?  If so, a honeynet may not be
the best place to train the network, since ALL traffic within a honeynet is attack traffic (no baseline).  Could you be
more specific as to exactly what part your neural network will play in the honeynet?

        --Graeme Connell