Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot webserver question

From: "Elcesar" <elcesar () elcesar net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:42:19 +0200

There's also another project, called Brcontrol with a similar idea, you
set up a fw rule to send certain trafic to userlevel memory, and there
with a program (i.e. snort) you set up a mark in some traffic you
consider to redirect to the honeypot and simply accept the other.

You can read a bit more here and download the code:

http://brcontrol.sourceforge.net/

Cesar

You may want to take a look at Bait N Switch:

http://baitnswitch.sourceforge.net/

The project was discontinued long ago and the code never was very
stable, but the ideas still prevail.

JESS

ChayoteMu wrote:
 > I tried to google info on this question but couldn't find anything
 > specific to what I'm after so I'm sending this out to the list. Thanks
 > in advance for any responses.
 > Question:
 > Is it possible to run a web server on a honeypot that will serve the
 > pages and work as a regular server except with the extras of being a
 > honeypot, ie logging and prevention measures? I'm asking because I had
 > an idea for a pair of webservers behind an IDS/Firewall. Regular
 > traffic goes to the primary web server but suspicious traffic gets
 > dumped onto the honeypot server. This lets false positives view the
 > site but not have access to any other services (FTP or anything else
 > on the real server) and gives a good idea of what they'd try to do to
 > the clean server so you could catch 0-days and such. And if you're
 > bored you can update the honeyserver semi-regularly to get all the new
 > goodies on there for attackers to go after (with some changes
 > obviously). I know you can emulate web servers with various methods
 > but I'm curious if there's somebody/group doing that now or a tool
 > anyone knows of for it.

                               ElCesar