Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: search for master of science project topic

From: "Stejerean, Cosmin" <cosmin () cti depaul edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:19:47 -0500

What you mentioned sounds a lot like a bait and switch honeypot. I believe
the idea is to migrate both the process in question and the connection to
the honeypot so if a vulnerable server is exploited with a buffer overflow
attack the process will be migrated to the honeypot and any connection from
the attack will be redirected to the honeypot. This would be a step further
than regular network based bait and switch honeypot because the HIDS would
be able to detect when a process makes unusual system calls etc, as well as
transfer the process image and everything else to the honeypot.

The difficulty is in carefully migrating the process over and deciding what
can or cannot be migrated.

Cosmin