Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Semantics of command_id, process_id, process_to_com, process_tree

From: "Frank S Posluszny, III" <fsp () mitre org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:31:11 -0400

troy d. straszheim said the following on 6/23/2006 4:53 PM:
I was under the impression that process_id as it appears in the
database is strictly internal to the database, not the pid of the
process on the host:

You're right.  The process_id is assigned on the honeywall by the
sebekd.pl script (iirc), which determines if the data it is seeing is
associated with a new process.

So here's what I'm guessing is happening with your process_id with no
name...
A sebek packet comes in and it contains a pid that has not been seen
before, so a new process_id is associated with it and appropriate
entries are made in the command_id table.  During this processing, the
ppid is identified as being a new process, and so a new process_id is
associated with it.  However, there is no command name in the sebek
packet for the ppid, so no command_id entry is created.

That make sense?

-Frank p