Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: setting up roo manually

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:36:04 -0500

On Jun 29, 2006, at 10:24, Kathy Simm wrote:

I'm setting up roo on an FC5 machine - cannot use the FC3 release because the only box I have has sata drives and can't get FC3 to work on sata.

everyone talks about copying the config and startup files, but where can I find a copy of these? I'm talking specifically about the ones in /etc/rc.d/init.d, so i can use the hwctl program to config my honeywall. I'm sure there are others out there not able to use the roo CD - is there a tar files of all these files I can download? tx

Kathy, unfortunately this is pretty much no longer an option. In the old days when a honeywall was just some basic scripts (such as rc.firewall) you could build and roll your own. However, now that things are much more complex (scripts using variables, inter dependencies, much more functionality, etc) all of our development efforts are on the CDROM. So if you want to use the latest and greatest, you will have to use the CDROM.

There will be one last release of the 1.x branch in several weeks, with many updates and bug fixes. Our new 2.x branch will be released before the end of the year. This will be based on Fedora Core 4, and have vast new functionality, sub systems, etc. Our goal in the long term future is to be able to 'decouple' the honeywall functionality into packages, letting you install it on the OS of your choice. However, its going to take a while for that to happen :-0

Thanks!

lance