Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeyd for Windows

From: James Chamberlain <jchamberlain () isac-usa com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:28:23 -0500

Another Windows Honeypot is Specter.  They have a $200 R&D version.

Jim Chamberlain

On Aug 17, 2006, at 2:11 PM, Roger A. Grimes wrote:

In all reality, Honeyd for Windows doesn't really work anymore. Michael
Davis did us a great service by porting it from Linux to Windows back in
the day, but since then it has been nearly a dead project. It doesn't
work well on Windows at all, has major routing issues, etc.

My book, Honeypots for Windows, has a few chapters on it. I loved it.
But, yes, it's time to use Honeyd on Linux or BSD if you've got the
skills. It works great there. Or try Kfsensor or PatriotBox instead.
KFSensor is the best Windows honeypot on the market, although a bit
pricy for the casual user.  It's a great eval though. And try any of the
excellent honeypot discussion sites to find dozens of other free
honeypots to play with.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes () infoworld com or roger () banneretcs com
*Author of Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Wrox)
*http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764599909