Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot books

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 03:44:54 -0600

On 24/12/2007, karlzen <henrik.karlzen () bostream nu> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I hope my question is not posed in the wrong forum. :)

After New Year I will do my bachelor project which will consist of
adding/improving on an existing honeypot application. Now, I'm new to this
area but have for example taken a course on network security. Anyway, I'm
going to buy a book on the subject and am wondering which one is best
suited. I've checked out http://www.honeypots.net/honeypots/books and
apparently all the books get great reviews on amazon. Since I will be coding
some stuff myself I'd like the book to explain such things in more detail
and not just existing tools (but of course I don't want to "cheat"). Is the
latest "Virtual honeypots" the best bet?

I think it's a great book, but I haven't read other honeypot books so
I can't compare directly. It covers a lot of ground, including every
honeypot technology I'd heard of and quite a few that I hadn't before
I read it.

I think a lot of people find the title slightly misleading - in fact
it has a lot of detail about honeypots in general and is not
restricted to virtualised implementations.

Happy Christmas,
 Jamie
--
Jamie Riden / jamesr () europe com / jamie () honeynet org uk
UK Honeynet Project: http://www.ukhoneynet.org/