Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange & Consistent RST/ACK packets

From: bejtlich () TEXAS NET (Richard Bejtlich)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:08:54 -0000

Hello,

I haven't identified the code which produces SYN 674719801
packets, although
I do believe you're seeing collateral damage from an
unknown third
party SYN flooding other sites while spoofing your
network's IPs.
Examples can be found here in two .ppt and .rtf files:

http://bejtlich.home.texas.net/

I've seen the same sort of activity with SYN ACK and RST
ACK 674711610,
which may have been generated by at least one tool (shaft),
sending SYN 674711609
packets.  For more info, see the arachNIDS database at
www.whitehats.com,
or more specifically:

http://dev.whitehats.com/cgi/test/new.pl/Show?
_id=ids253&sort=DEFAULT&search=674711609

Richard

--

At one of my customer sites, I keep seeing uninitated
RST/ACK packets with

Or is this just a scanning
tool that looks for ICMP unreachables from my customer's
border router?