Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: sadmind hack?

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:32:02 -0700

samind is certainly vulnerable on unpatched Solaris 2.6 machines.

The exploit is difficult to get right because you have to know the
appropriate offsets for the exact version (and configuration) of the victim
system. Therefore, you often see multiple attempts in a row. Also, the
service restarts automatically from inetd, so crashing a single instance
doesn't stop the others from running.

Rob.

PS: Rule of thumb: If you have an unpatched Solaris 2.6 machine with RPC
servers exposed to the Internet, there are a dozen different ways to break
into the system. (Of course, same applies to older default installations of
Linux and NT, so it is nothing special, but beware).