Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Rooted through in.identd on Red Hat 6.0

From: jhorner () KNOXLUG ORG (J. J. Horner)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:25:51 -0400

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Del Elson wrote:

Hi,

A client was hacked last week by what looked like a buffer
overflow through in.identd.  This was on a Red Hat 6.0
box.

RH don't have any current security notices or fixes for
in.identd on their servers, and I haven't seen other
boxes hacked through in.identd recently.

<snip>
Anyone know of any current bug notices, exploits, or
patches for in.identd?

Del

Well, he could have gotten in somewhere else and just put the backdoor in
identd.  I've had people get in on nameservers with old versions of BIND,
then backdoor another service.

Jon

--
J. J. Horner