Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Spoofed SPAM relayed using my email address.

From: Andrea Adams <andrea () VIVIDIMAGE COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:30:15 -0700

Dennis DeDonatis wrote:
I received the following 3 bounces today.  I did not generate the original
emails.

Have any of you on the incidents email list had this happen?

Ditto. I received 8 bounces for the same spam also from
libs1.hallym.ac.kr. I haven't appended the bonced emails, but
if anyone wants copies, I'll happily send them along.

Is there ANY way to protect against this other than not using my
email address anywhere? :)

I don't think so (though I would love to be wrong).

I can't think of anyone I would have annoyed enough to do this on
purpose.

I am guessing they culled the email addresses from whois. Both your
address and mine are listed.

Andrea...
Andrea L. Adams        | In short, printing has become a Pandora's box no one
                       | wants to open. It is surrounded by more folklore and
Vivid Image Technology | black magic than any other area in modern computing.
andrea () vividimage com  |   -- Damian Ivereigh, Linux Journal #54