Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Solaris statd exploit?

From: Fyodor <fygrave () SCORPIONS NET>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:35:17 -0400

Okay guys, let me make this clean for you (so at least part of your
worries caused by kiddies noise would go away):

Generally speaking formatted string vulnerabilities are _NOT_ exploitable
on sparc platforms they way they are being exploited nowdays on x86. The
problem is due to alignment requirements you can not shift the address
per-byte to write return address, and due to libc limitations (at least on
solaris7 and 2.6) you can not write more than 4fc (last time I
checked) bytes per-call, which means that you can not place higher
address. (anyone who can prove that I am wrong, I'd be happy to hear this,
honest! :))

So even if you assume that statd on solaris has this sort of problem
(which looks a lot like a fingerprint of  recently released linux statd
sploit) you still can sleep well if you're running it on sparcs. :)

just my .02 :)

I got this entry today on 3 different solaris boxes...
Is this some kind of statd exploit?
The OS is Solaris 8 (and Solaris 2.6)...

All of the entries have the same pattern and time (probably 1 or 2
seconds difference). A script kiddie attack?

----
Aug 30 11:15:14 earth statd[236]: [ID 462824 auth.error] statd: attempt
to create "/var/statmon/sm/%08x %08x %08x %08x %08x %08x %08x %08x %08x
%08x %08x %08x %08x %08x %0242x%n%055x%n%012x%n%0192x%nK^v ^( ^ ^.  #^1
F'F* FF+, NV1@/bin/sh -c echo "9088 stream tcp nowait root /bin/sh -i"