Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS Messages

From: Bill Reamy <bill () STAFFNET COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:24:31 -0500

Steven,

  I've noticed similar errors many times and have experimented with
 packet sniffing the offending traffic. MS's DNS server has some
 serious problems with logging errors. In many cases the following
 will occur:

  1) bad dns request comes from x.x.x.x
  2) local dns server passes bad request along to root name server
     (or other authoritative dns server) y.y.y.y
  3) y.y.y.y responds, question section still contains a copy of
     the bad dns request.
  4) local ms dns finally checks validity of request, logs error
     as having come from y.y.y.y, _not_ x.x.x.x

  When this happens packet sniffing is the only way I've found to
 identify the actual offender.