Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port Scans are Legal

From: f4 () SILCON COM
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:58:59 -0800

Guess since it's not illegal alot of scanners may pop up.  I found this one
cool online port scanner is at farm9.  Check this out http://www.farm9.com

The scanner is Nessus based and although they charge for them, I heard you
can get a beta account for free.

Checks over 750 things.  Whisker, nmap,nessus, Sans Top 10.

magoo

Crist Clark <crist.clark () GLOBALSTAR COM> said:

The question come up here every few weeks, and it looks like any doubt
has been erased for now. Port scanning is not illegal in the USA,

  http://www.securityfocus.com/frames/?content=/templates/article.html%3Fid%
3D126

--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark () globalstar com                    Globalstar, L.P.