Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: E-Mail relay or break in?

From: KBOGAC () ALLSTATE COM (Bogac, Kevin)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:28:27 -0600

I just resolved this issue on an Exchange 5.5 server earlier in the week.
Even if you set the IMC to not relay mail it can still be done via telnet.
This is the default setting. I connected to some other Exchange SMTP servers
my friends manage and found them to be wide open. The recommended fix is to
enable SMTP relaying and then restrict who can do it. We set it to only
authenticated users but it can be set to no one. With out this setting the
IMC appears not to check if relaying is allowed and just forwards messages
to the addressed recipient. After relaying this info to some friends I
understand this is also a problem on GroupWise and Lotus SMTP servers.