Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: E-Mail relay or break in?

From: ryan () SECURITYFOCUS COM (Ryan Russell)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:35:40 -0800

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Seth Georgion wrote:

Mid-day today, while logged in to my exchange 5.5 server at the console, I recieved an E-Mail from myself to myself.
Technically it was a "Just Testing" kind of message from my Administrator account to my SysAdmin account. Of course I
never sent it and after further investigation I discovered that the E-Mail was most certainly sent by telnet and then
subsequently, about a minute later, recieved by my copy of Outlook 2000. Before anyone gives me anything about "Did I
read my logs?" The answer is yes and they indicate that the connection originated to and from my machine. Let me
preface the main question with the statement that this server has been up for 30 hours and due to other crises around
here has not had mail-relaying disabled yet. My first assumption was that someone was mail-relaying me and just
forging the info but because I have a near paranoid interest in logging Exchange stuff I was suprised to see that it
went beyond a simple forged E-Mail. My question is simply "Is this someone creating a telnet session and forging an
E-Mail and tricking out Exchange or is this someone who has compromised my server and is now trying to gain control
of some E-Mail?"

The log makes it look not hand-typed.  Do you have any sort of script
someone might have hit to generate such a mail?  For example, some sort of
CGI mail script someone is poking at for holes?  Since the machine is
named GATE, does it also have an external interface with a routable
address?

                                        Ryan