Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Private networks and home.{net|com}

From: jpapen () YAHOO COM (Jeffrey Papen)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:00:10 -0800

I would totally disagree.  AtHome as protected all of their internal router
interfaces from DDoS attacks by having 1918 address space.  It is true that
pings/traceroutes can't originate from those routers, but it will be happily
passed by them.

The massive DDos Attacks this week have been aimed at the default gateway
routers for the ISPs, and have proven very effective.  I think that AtHome has
very intelligently protected themselves.

There are only two types router interfaces exposed to attack, the peering
router interfaces are exposed and AtHome can pressure their peers into adding
CAR.  The other is the default gateway of AtHome subscribers, and these
interfaces can be protected w/ CAR anywhere along the data path where it is
most convenient.

- Jeffrey