Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: R: Re: Korea (was RE: ?)

From: jpr5 () BOS BINDVIEW COM (Jordan Ritter)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:30:02 -0500

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, thomas lakofski wrote:

# > I'm sure the CEO who dials up to the internet on his Windows 98 box,
# > sharing his entire harddrive (including his quarterly and annual financial
# > reports), ignorant of the possible transgressions, would disagree.
# >
# > Is it his fault?  Yes.  Does that make it okay?  No.
#
# Sure.  I'll leave my apartment door open in new york city, and put a sign
# in the window indicating this fact.  Yes, it's still illegal to take my
# stuff.  Will the police or insurance company sympathise?  I doubt it.

Sympathy isn't relevant, though liability probably is.  In any case, the
point I'm debating is whether or not it is "acceptable" in the legal sense
to use someone's computer and services, unbeknownst to them, just because
they are loaded and accessible to you.

Do I care if the police sympathize with my ignorance?  No, not really, my
things were taken without my permission, and breaking and entering is a
different crime from theft.  All I should care about is with whom the
liability lies, and the legality of the actions raised against me.

Taking things from my apartment without my permission is illegal, whether
you broke in or not.  End of story.

Jordan Ritter
RAZOR Security
BindView Corporation