Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Large quantity of traffic from amazon.com - source_port 3000

From: steingra () PPRD ABBOTT COM (Andrew Steingruebl)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:36:31 -0600

Thanks for the good response.  I'm cc'ing the whole list on this message.

I've seen several people respond with explanations of strange behavior coming
from their sites.  Its nice to know that a good number of people are reading
this list.  At the same time, without knowing exactly how the list is set up,
and even if I did, its pretty easy to forge email.  I'd like to suggest that
people, wherever possible, when making an quasi-official response to an
incident, PGP or S/MIME sign their email so as to give other people at least
some comfort or verifiable information that the response is genuine.

Hope this hasn't been discussed before ad-nauseum and shouted down.

Thanks.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra () pprd abbott com
Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728