Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Korea (was RE: ?)

From: kim () NHI NO (Kim Robert Blix)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:30:24 +0100

Robert G. Ferrell
National Business Center, US DoI

This is not a very ethical statement. Especially when you consider the
email address you have used to send this message. Does the National
Business Center condone 'cracking', when it is useful?

"Brooke, O'Neil"

Although I don't know the first think about Robert G. Ferrell, I'd like to
point at that it is standard list/usenet policy to assume that a person
speaks for himself and noone else unless so noted.

And if I stumbled uppon a rootshell bound to a port on any machine that
had recently been used to attack me, I sure would use it to investigate.
I dont see *any* harm in that what so ever. the most likly reason for the
shell being there is that the machine has been compromised and is used to
launch attacks elsewhere. So by checking it out and then placing a
phonecall you are doing them a favor.

What you seems to be saying is that if your neighbours house and their
door is wide open in the middle of the night, you should just move along.
I'd sure stick my head in and ask if everything is allright.