Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Probes to tcp 2766 ('System V Listner')

From: condor () SEKURE ORG (Thiago/c0nd0r)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:51:49 -0200

There's a buffer overflow in the nlps_server but only the x86 plataform is
vulnerable to the attack, I guess.

-condor

Over the last few days I have seen several probes to tcp port 2766
which various sources identify as 'System V Listner'.  Yesterday some
one probed all machines on our net with PRT record on this port.

Does any one know anything about this service or why people are
suddenly looking for systems that offer it?

This is the Solaris Print Services port (NLPS).  It is one of the ports
routinely scanned by sscan, according to CERT (see
http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-99-01.html).  There was some talk of a bof
present in nlps_server through at least 2.5.1, but I'm not sure if it is/was
widely exploited.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
Internet Technologist