Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS update queries: another sort of suspicious activity.

From: Bill_Royds () PCH GC CA (Bill Royds)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:57:23 -0500

You are probably going to find a lot more of these entries. By default,  Windows
2000 tries to send a DNS update to its known DNS server whenever it starts up
with a new IP from DHCP or finds its name to IP lookup entry not in the local
DNS zone.
This is MS implementation of dynamic DNS. There is some more details on SANS
GIAC pages http://www.sans.org/giac.html
(Jan 26 ).

Fyodor <fygrave () TIGERTEAM NET> on 28/01/2000 08:12:38 AM

Please respond to Fyodor <fygrave () TIGERTEAM NET>