Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SMB scans

From: Jonathan Stade <jsmailst () CADVISION COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:14:36 -0600

I've seen a lot of these over the past couple or three months. In every
case I've seen, your aa.bb.cc.dd ip address would increment by once on each
cycle. In every case I've tracked down (about 7-10 of them), the source
machine was infected with a worm which replicated itself by copying itself
onto other machines over open shares.

For the most common one I found, check http://vil.nai.com for the netlog
worm. There was another worm I found that did this as well, but I can't
remember what its name was...

Long story short, if you care enough and have the time, ask the ISP where
the attack originated to contact their user and have them scan their
machine with an up-to-date virus scanner.