Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: blind forwards

From: ltaylor () TECHNOLOGYEVALUATION COM (Laura Taylor)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:22:11 -0400

It would be difficult to accurately find this out without access to all the
network devices along route, but if you use a product like Lexiguard
(www.lexias.com) for sending email, without the right key, all they will get
is an encrypted and unreadable piece of plaintext. I have not done any brute
force testing to see how easy it is to break the Lexiguard keys, but the
product is slick, easier to use than PGP, and worth taking a look at.

I think you are trying to solve the wrong problem. Assume that your email
can be intercepted. Now look for the solution. Encrypt your email. You don't
need an expensive VPN, Lexiguard can be installed in 15 minutes per desktop.

Lexiguard Review
http://www.technologyevaluation.com/Research/ResearchHighlights/Security/200
0/01/news_analysis/NA_ST_LPT_01_31_00_1.asp

Laura

Laura Taylor
Director, Security Research
Technology Evaluation Center (TEC)