Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Undernet/telnet attempts?

From: Stephen.Cooper () BIS ORG (Stephen Cooper)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:24:47 +0100

Hello,

I recently left a large middle eastern country (I do not wish to be inflamatory, so I will not name it in a public
forum), having experienced certain phenomena there, your email makes me smile!!!!

In that country the Internet backbone is concealed behind a massive firewall and a bank of Squid proxy servers, which
blocks ports 80 and 443. Not many people outside will see much of what I will describe.

However, should you dial-in to a local ISP (of which there are a lot) and be running a tool such as Back Officer
Friendly or BlackICE or equivalent, you will be absolutely bombarded by telnet attempts, backorifice probes, ping scans
, port scans and on and on. You do not need to be running. All coming from Dial-up users connected to that backbone via
various ISPs. Its kind of disturbing when you first see it, but you get used to it and there is very little you can do
about it.

It kind of puts a minor thing like you describe into perspective.

This email expresses personal opinions that absolutely no relation to my current occupation.

Regards, Stephen.

"Tibor, Mike" <tibor () LIB UAA ALASKA EDU> 02/23/00 02:06am >>>