Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 8 hours of pinging

From: mharris () METENG ON CA (Mike A. Harris)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:03:00 -0500

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:20:45 -0600
From: Jim Lindstrom <jlindstr () UIUC EDU>
To: INCIDENTS () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: 8 hours of pinging

I have a machine on the @Home network whose logs I monitor in
real-time.  Last night from 12:40am to about 8:35am (central standard us
time), the machine was continously pinged, at a rate of 5 to 10 times
per minute, from machines all over the world.  I don't think this was
intended as a DDoS, due to the low rate of firings, but what else could
this have been?

I've read part of the thread on this and I have an idea what it
could possibly be.  It is possible someone is sending seemingly
normal ICMP packets to you, however they could contain covert
data.  Data could be encoded into the ICMP data, various IP
fields, IP options, etc..

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

I've overclocked my keyboard interface.  It's quite messy dipping my
hands into the mineral oil, but *MAN* is my keyboard ever fast now!
                                         - Anonymous Coward