Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Unwanted DNS connection attempts

From: Richard Bejtlich <bejtlich () ALTAVISTA NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 13:40:48 -0000

AJ,

Just to clarify -- Alex wrote the initial post,
and I made the first reply.

Thanks for doing the IP resolution legwork.  Now
that we know Starmedia is involved, I know for a
fact that this is load balancing.  I dealt with
this company personally last year regarding the
same sort of traffic, then from New Jersey and
Brazil.  Exodus is Starmedia's service provider.
I can dig up the emails from Starmedia's tech
support if needed.  Alex's .ro address is not
necessarily relevant as the destination, as a
person connecting to a Starmedia server could be
located anywhere with similar results.

Richard

Alex,

I beg to differ on your last sentence.
Richard's email addy was .ro, which
matches with the destination IP of
192.129.3.227.
The first IP listed above, 200.211.187.194,
ARINs to a co. in San Paulo, Brazil.

The second IP, 209.67.42.162, is indeed under
Exodus, but "belongs" to a company
in New York called "Starmedia".

I wouldn't blame Exodus for this.  Not entirely
at least.  From what I recall of
glancing around in the 2 Exodus centers I've
been in, I don't recall seeing any
F5 hardware.

Others in that block follow suit.

-aj.