Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: t0rn

From: Dave Dittrich <dittrich () CAC WASHINGTON EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:54:12 -0700

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Mixter wrote:

There is a kiddy called torn which is currently attacking ircnet
and efnet servers (trying to take down oper channels) with new versions
of the DDoS agent, I expect this is a rootkit/DDoS distribution made by
him, the first I've seen so far. It seems that the rootkit is a variation
of a customized version of lrk5, that I've seen before already, on incidents,
I think. It looks like a fully featured rootkit, so expect replaced binaries,
booby traps, etc. on the system.

Mixter is more in touch with the IRC world than I am, I must admit.

-- hub version: 1.666+smurf+yps --
distributed smurf, that's pretty new for the stacheldaht tool
what is yps? anybody know a public DoS method with that name?

Hint: "yps" is not a DoS method. ;)

I think that someone will be publishing an analysis of this variant
of stacheldraht Real Soon Now. ;)

# more pw.h
/* created password for masterserver */

#define SALT "zAE1nir9mBWTY\0"
looks like a uuencoded hash... lets try john the ripper
bash$ echo root:zAE1nir9mBWTY:0:0:::: > test ; john test
Loaded 1 password (Standard DES [32/32 BS])

Standard crypt()-DES hash, not too strong :)

I've already got my 500MHz pentium III laptop working on it (for 1 day,
4 hours already...no luck yet.)

--
Dave Dittrich                           Computing & Communications
dittrich () cac washington edu             Client Services

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt