Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Code Red, anyone?

From: "Coen Bongers" <CoB () Kikke Net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:56:43 +0200

Hi all,

I'm starting to see the first infection attempts to systems on the cable
modem netblock on my snort IDS at home.

(Funny, I can see all the traffic in mij neighbourhood on my cable modem
connection, is that normal?)  ;-)

Some relative info:

Snort 1.7 with standard rules, and the CodeRed additional rules.

                                                                                Source          Dest
#0-(6-107)  CodeRed Defacement 2001-08-01 09:44:58  211.205.83.13:2008
212.xxx.xxx.xxx:80  TCP
#1-(6-131)  CodeRed Defacement 2001-08-01 11:17:50  211.41.180.163:2566
212.xxx.xxx.yyy:80  TCP

Time is in GMT +1 and as far I can tell are the sources two closely related
Korean hosts
And a quick scan with the eEye CodeRed scanner (Thank you quys!!) is telling
me that both servers are to be considered vulnerable.

Is it starting, or am I just (un)lucky to see a couple???

take care,

Coen Bongers
Senior Network Engineer

Mobiel: 06-2001 7443