Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Code Red, Virus Growth, and some misunderstandings

From: Thomas Roessler <roessler () does-not-exist org>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:43:02 +0200

On 2001-08-08 11:13:16 +0200, Patrick Oonk wrote:

http://www.security.nl/misc/codered-stats/

Your code red II curve is indeed a bit weird... This is most probably due to the "locality" properties of Code Red II: You should see a strong effect whenever it hits somewhere in your "/8" neighborhood, and an even stronger effect when spreads in "your /16". That is, local measurements are likely to give biased results with CR II.

However, what I find much more interesting is the behaviour of your Code Red I graph at the point at which CR II occurs. Assuming that the number of susceptible machines still changes slowly, this is just the number of machines NOT infected with CR II. Thus, if CR II is following a logistic growth law, we should be seeing a logistic curve turned on its head. Let's fit some curves, see <http://www.does-not-exist.org/worm.png>; these are based on your numbers: The first hours of worm growth are described by a logistic curve (the blue dashed line). Then, we see some decay which is most likely due to users patching their hosts. This is what we should expect.

But then things get interesting: We can fit a logistic curve (the pink dotted line) into the behaviour between (approximately) hours 96 and 114 (that is, August 4 between 0:00 and 18:00), but then the behaviour of the CR I decay curve then turns exponential quite suddenly (the dashed green line) - in a way which is certainly not compatible with the current model.

The reason for this is most likely the forcible reboot of CR II servers after 24 hours. That does, in particular, mean that the first wave of CR II infections probably started at approximately 18:00 +0200 on August 3.

Properly describing this behaviour with a mathematical model will be a bit more tricky since this behaviour contains non-local effects (that is, it depends on the history of the infection and not just on the current number of infected hosts).

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com