Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Code Red - A Possible Origin?

From: "Michael J. Cannon" <mcannon () ubiquicomm com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:55:56 -0500

Excellent point...but the delay COULD just be the fact that it is an
anarchist group, with the resultant lack of organization (although many of
these groups, anarchist or not, are almost as good as the corporations when
it comes to PR announcements.)

For those that joined this thread late, again, I am not saying these ARE the
authors, I am advocating that we use this opportunity as a 'tactical
exercise' in a well-known public forum, to show the public what tools are
used and some of the procedures for tracking down these incidents.  If this
is not the correct forum, I expect the relevant authorities (the list
moderator/admin) will tell us (and maybe make a suggestion on where would be
more appropriate).

Also, I don't personally believe this information from Canada is in any way
more credible or believable than what came out of Germany, China, Holland,
Mauritius and India.

Finally, for any lurkers from the press:  I don't believe that this is in
any way 'cyber-terrorism,'  whoever perpetrated 'Code Red,' its variants, or
virii like SirCam.  I don't believe that the TAO and their sibling
organizations are terrorists.  I don't believe whoever created Code Red is a
terrorist.  Terrorism kills people, not networks and computers.  Terrorism
costs lives and limbs, not money and bandwidth/inconvenience.  What goes on
in Israel/Palestine, Macedonia/Yugoslavia, Sri Lanka and elsewhere is
terrorism.

The computer security community is on the job and we do care.  We want to
make the Internet a safer place for communities and commerce.  But to call
any of what our opposition does  'terrorism' is to demean the lives and
efforts of those who risk their lives combating that FAR more grievous
menace.  Bruce Schneier has said we in the security industry have lost the
battle with the press when it comes to 'hacker' vs. 'cracker.'  Let us not
allow the press to portray activists, curious children, petty criminals and
misguided individuals in the same way they do the animals that kill people
with guns and bombs.  'Hacktivism' and electronic civil disobedience are
better terms more amenable to the result of the crime.