Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 113 requests?

From: "Crist J . Clark" <cristjc () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 16:24:59 -0800

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 01:51:33PM -0700, Slighter, Tim wrote:
you really should try and specify that the rule "drops" instead of reject so
that the potential intruder is not provided with any information about their
attempted connection.

It's a trade. If you drop the auth attempts silently, you usually then
have to wait for the attempts to time out before whatever you did to
prompt the auth attempt can proceed. If you send a RST or
ICMP-unreachable, you don't have to wait for the time out.

In this case, it's someone's mail server getting the auth connection
attempt. Everyone knows where everybody else's mail servers are
(receiving hubs have MX records, senders are in the mail
headers). Sending RSTs on port 113 is just telling the world that you
don't want their auth requests; you are not really giving anything
away to an intruder.