Security Incidents mailing list archives

Update: Scans From 192.168.0.134

From: "Douglas P. Brown" <Doug () UNC EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:51:24 -0500

It turns out that we were not blocking the RFC 1918 addresses at one place
were we should have had them filtered.  This is going to be corrected - and
that will allow us to further narrow this down.

Thanks to all for the quick, thoughtful and thorough responses!

Best Wishes,
-DpB

"Douglas P. Brown" wrote:

We are somewhat preplexed - Our IDS reported 8000+ SYN FIN scans from a
non-routable address (192.168.0.134) to thousands of ours hosts
yesterday.  Our IDS setup is only seeing traffic that traverses our main
router.  Has anyone seen this before?  Am I missing something?  Any
advice or direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-DpB