Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Handling Scans.

From: Justin Shore <macdaddy () NEO PITTSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:43:22 -0600

On 2/14/01 6:43 AM John Nemeth said...

On Jul 5, 10:27am, Richard Johnson wrote:
}
} Also, avoid threatening language or mention of law[yers], as many who
} receive your reports can't talk to you if you say things like that -- they
} have to refer your message to their lawyers instead.  In such cases, you
} might as well not waste your time.

    This is very important.  Anything that I receive that is threating
in any way, demanding, just generally rude, etc., is immediately tossed
into the bit bucket without a second thought.  Remember that a human is
reading the complaint and deserves to be be treated with respect.

    The point that was above abought having detailed information is
also important.  If there is insufficient information in a complaint
for me to determine what happended and wether the complaint is valid, I
will bit bucket it.  The biggest problem here is a complaint about
e-mail or usenet abuse.  Those absolutely must have an example that has
a complete set of headers or else forget it.

Exactly.  Give them the full details and be nice about it.  If they go
balistic on you, then you can get hostile; one up them and go to there
provider.  Lately a lot of the spam I receive has been from open relays.
I usually dig through the headers and report the spam to the owner of the
server that handed the message off to me.  I also check to see if it's an
open relay (especially if they report a FQDN that matches the IP I
resolve by hand).  If they are open, I dig a level deeper and report the
spam to whomever handed it to that open relay.  I also give an FYI to the
owner of the misconfigured machine acting as an open relay, being nice of
course, just a friendly heads up.  I don't report them to ORBS or MAPS.
I just let them deal with it.  Now if I suddenly received 20 pieces of
spam from that open relay and reported it to them a few days earlier, I
might esculate that a bit--inform them again and their provider, etc....
That gets you farther than something like "You're stupid!  You can't even
configure Sendmail properly so you shouldn't be a sysadmin!". :)

Justin

--
Justin Shore                    Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.