Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Somthing intresting.

From: Chris <security () KINGSQUEAK ORG>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:07:32 -0500

Just last night I was trying to figure out how that happens with my
@home connection, 10.0.0.0 internal net was able to scan and connect to
the @home 10.0.0.0 devices, switches/routers.  Neat stuff. Found it by
accident as well.

* Crypt1 Crypt1 <crypt1 () USA NET> [010215 19:57]:

While using nmap i found something interesting. My boss's network
is on DSL, Setup with 2 ethernet cards. and one computer pluged into
the hub the other pluged into the dsl modem. Internet address is
192.168.133.* well i ended up doing a scan on the hole internal subnet
When i did i found some computer i did not reconize when
i telneted to them a few of them came up as cisco routers and
a few came up as DNS servers. (FROM the out side internet)
i did a traceroute to them and they resolved to the out side net.
so you have 192.168.133.0 resolving (lets just say)209.125.12.8
any reason for this?

Could the isp have an internal network that is not properly subneted?
or using some type of nat skeem?