Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Bind compromise

From: Roberto <cinini () TERRA ES>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:36:00 -0000

/dev/sdc0 = t0rnkit 6 ususaly /dev/sdc0/.nfs01
in.amdq = tornkit sshd 1.2.27

a lot of uk2.net hosts were compromised when the
bind exploit came out as a increase in irc BOT's on
ircnet network IRCnet has been seen

more info can be found at http://www.torner-
style.com about the kit.. and many previous posts on
this mailing list also analyse this kit in detail

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone
said...

What is in.amdq? A customized ssh daemon of
sorts that allows anyone to
connect as root, or so it appears. They also must
have used a rootkit of some
sort, as the process does not show up in ps
auxw.  There is probably more to
the compromise, but this is all I found. This
server was running named
8.2.3-REL, which i assume was the source of the
system compromise.  According
to my colo provider, everyone who had a
collocated linux box with this
version of BIND had been penetrated, so it's
possible this attack is
self-replicating, although I could not find any
traces of this on the
compromised system. Thankfully this box isn't
that important, and thank
goodness I got bind 9.1 up and running on my
important boxes before this had
happened.

I disagree that this is a BIND 8.2.3 exploit.  If it was
we probably would
have heard about it on BugTraq by now :)

I've seen this rootkit (or, at least, this back door) on
a RedHat box that
had no business running, and was not running,
BIND.  They were, however,
running all sorts of other services (it was RedHat
6.0, with *no*
updates) that had nasty vulnerabilities.

If you still have access to the compromised
system, I think you'll find
some files under /dev/sdc0/ (where the ssh
backdoor gets its
configuration).

I think you will also find /usr/sbin/in.sysched.  I have
no idea what that
does; I've heard it may be a DDoS tool.  I haven't
been able to find
anything conclusive about it on google, and nothing
on packetstorm and
SecurityFocus.

What I know about it starts with the (way too short)
thread at
http://plug.skylab.org/200007/msg00526.html, and
another (also way too
short) at http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/ilug/2000-
September/022860.html.
As well as some stuff in Norwegian.

- --
-----
Phil Brutsche
pbrutsch () tux creighton edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D
7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key:
http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc