Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Ramen worm . More details on it. ( found a password and e-mails crypted inside it)

From: "Jeffrey F. Lawhorn" <jeffl () wanet net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:17:49 -0800

In message <3A64ACD2.39EDC7B () profm ro>, Mihai Moldovanu said:

The asp executable ( the one wich get's installed in /sbin/asp and serve requests on 27374 )  has a strange getline
function coded wich
seems to be specialy crafted to allow remote upload / execution of code . Unfortunately I can't prove that function
have a buffer
overflow in it .

As near as I can determine, all the asp executable does is send the
configured file (/tmp/ramen.tgz) when ever it receives any data on the port
it's listening on (27374).

jeffl

--
Jeffrey F. Lawhorn                       |Internet Security Consulting
Software Design Associates, Inc.         |IDS Monitoring/Reporting

Insist on Quality! WANet.Net is an ISP/C Member - http://www.ispc.org/