Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Jetdirect card Attack???

From: "Bojan Zdravkovic" <bzdravko () siac com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:00:42 -0400

Hi James,

Make sure nobody is running ISS scans on your LAN. They are known to throw
printers and printservers out of whack.

-Bojan

James Edwards <jedwards () mail sdsu edu> on 07/19/2001 01:07:09 PM

To:   sdsu-cert () lists sdsu edu
cc:   incidents () securityfocus com (bcc: Bojan Zdravkovic/SIAC)
Subject:  Jetdirect card Attack???

Yesterday, one of the printers here in ITS began printing a Jetdirect
Diagnostic Page showing a S/W Exception 00fb and a core dump
("Registers", "Stack", and "Register Pointer Memory Dump" in Hex). I
changed the slot, and the error followed (from EIO1 to EIO2),
therefore I guessed that the card was bad. Today another printer
began to share the same symptoms. I have a hard time believing that
two cards would go bad at the same time

Has anyone else noted this phenomenon??

Could it be a different type of printer attack than the port 515 attacks??

Jim

(PS, I've already called John and notified him--he asked me to post
here (I'm also posting to the Security Focus list) for feedback.)
--
James Edwards
Instructional Technology Consultant

  (619) 594-5727