Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 2300 FTP accesses from Korea

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:35:43 +1200 (NZST)

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:48:41 -0700 Gregory McCann <cambria () owt com>
wrote:

Our log files show that someone at two different Korean ip addresses
tried to access our ftp server (ProFTPD 1.2.0) over 2,300 times on
Saturday.  What's the point?

There probably is not point.  This activity probably was not
intentional.  We have seen incidents like this several times over the
last few years, in several cases the machine that initiated the
activity was a cache.

This is most likely a result of broken software on the orginating
system.  Hmmm... I have also seen browsers retrying for ages when
connecting to our main ftp server when we are refusing connections
because the load is too high.