Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: About the Russians..

From: Rik van Riel <riel () CONECTIVA COM BR>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:49:50 -0300

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Meritt James wrote:

Given the many times that some hosts have been used by third parties
as waypoints for attacks, I'd actually go so far as to say particular
actions and not even imply that the site you see is originating the
attack...

We've seen this pattern for a number of years now ...

... in every country where a large part of the computer
administrators doesn't speak enough English to read the
security advisories (and act on them) computer systems
get rooted and used for scans and attacks ...

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the attacks were
mostly carried out by European and American highschool
kids, because they seem to have more free time than
anybody else.

regards,

Rik
--