Security Incidents mailing list archives

Timing of DoS and Intrusion attempts.

From: Patrick Andry <pandry () wolverinefreight ca>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:48:17 -0400

I am trying to get a profile of a typical DoS and intrusion attempt, and
would like input on the times which these attacks occur.  Invariably they
will follow Murphy's Law, being when the administrators are gone home for
the night, or stuck in an elevator, and I understand that the Internet is a
24/7 Superstore, but there must be some correlation to the timing of these
attacks.
        Assuming we can find some form of correlation between the time of
the attack on both the target computer and the source computer, the possible
damage (A DoS attack is not as effective when your target audience is
asleep), and the type of attack, it may make it easier to guess where the
attacker originated from, if they are relaying through a server somewhere
else, etc...

Any thoughts on this?

Patrick Andry
pandry () wolverinefreight ca