Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Suspect e-mail from bfrazzon () lcc furb br.

From: Paul Rogers <paul.rogers () MIS-CDS COM>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:57:24 +0100

Yotam Rubin wrote:
Also note how the binary's mime type is set to image/gif.
I do not know how Outlook handles this but the sender
probably wanted to achieve one of two things:

This could be because the mail maybe trying to bypass some e-mail
content filtering software, because Outlook uses the second occurence
of the MIME filename to distinguish the name and filetype, where as
the content filtering software uses the first occurence. Therefore
the software would recognise it as a GIF rather than an EXE.

For example, to send a VBS the MIME header for the attachment would
read:

- ------_=_NextPart_000_05C19F26.AB526EB2

Or it could be for a completely different reason.

Cheers,

Paul Rogers,
Network Security Analyst.

MIS Corporate Defence Solutions Limited

Tel:            +44 (0)1622 723422 (Direct Line)
                +44 (0)1622 723400 (Switchboard)
Fax:            +44 (0)1622 728580