Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Bogus Email

From: <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 07:50:13 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001 Thor () HammerofGod com wrote:

For whatever reason, it seems that I have become the target (or masqueraded
source as the case may be) of an email prank.

Someone originating from SERVER4 (193.128.138.68 [193.128.138.68]) is
sending out the email portion of the Nimda virus with *my* email address as
the FROM.

That is normal behaviour for nimda in fact. It grabs a random email
address from your mailbox and uses it as faked "From:" address.

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/