Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Corrupted Directories, Intrusions, and Nimda Oh MY

From: "Lew E. Lefton" <llefton () math gatech edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:38:30 -0500 (EST)

I don't know if this will work, but you may try installing Cygwin (a Unix
environment on Windows).  Then from a bash shell type

  rm -rf c:\tree\to\erase

Better yet, you should probably reinstall everything on a freshly
formatted drive from original media.  Then restore your own files from a
trusted (pre-nimda) backup.  Otherwise, who knows what other "goodies" are
hidden around your system now (keystroke sniffers, etc.)

Good Luck,
Lew Lefton

| Lew Lefton, IT Director         | Phone:     (404) 385-0052           |
| School of Mathematics           | FAX:       (404) 894-4409           |
| Georgia Institute of Technology | e-mail:    llefton () math gatech edu  |
| Atlanta, GA  30332-0160         | http://www.math.gatech.edu/~llefton |